Friday, September 07, 2007

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

"Who cares about Derek Zoolander anyway? The man has only one look, for Christ's sake! Blue Steel? Ferrari? Le Tigra? They're the same face! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

Now. . .
seen on the side of the bus:
Mun Geun Yeong, Korean TV and commercial star.

these pictures were side by side.






Now, for comparison. A North American model showing off HIS versatility:


except, one's a satire, and one's in earnest.


Pretty much, this is the only note dear Mun Geun Yeong plays. Last summer, she was LITERALLY on the side of every third bus and billboard, stumping different products. She earned the nickname "Korea's little sister" and she was the flavour of the month. She's a TV star, and while she still had her baby fat, was ridiculously cute (so much that she never bothered with things like versatility or talent). Pretty much, imagine seeing this every where you turn. (She had other commercials for other products, but the only thing that really changed were her clothes.





I hope she doesn't mind if I poke at her balloon. Maybe she can go cry on a pile of cash to feel better. Korea supersaturates their celebrities -- tv, movies, posters, commercials -- ubiquity seems to be the catchword of Korean celebrity agents. They don't seem to realize a little mystery adds staying power. A little of the old, "leave'em wanting more"

Anyway, thought for the day. Celebrity worship and star overexposure is annoying, in any culture.

P.S.: 100th post!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Hey - if you can't pick up on the subtleties of expression between Blue Steel and Le Tigre - than you're just not educated enough - it has nothing to do with Zoolander's talent, because he's got it!! Oh baby, he's got it!!

Roboseyo said...

You know, my sister, that song ("I'm your Venus") is a hilarious one, because in Korean, there's no "v" sound; the closest consonant to the "v" sound is the bieup, which is half way between a B and a P. The song "I'm Your Venus" is very popular here (they've got it, oh baby they've got it!) in karaoke (noraebang) and such. The result of this was the day Matt was walking through Han River park and came across an outdoor concert, with 400 middle-aged women with old lady haircuts, jumping up and down with their hands in the air, screaming "I'm Your Penis!"

I also had a student who wanted to take the nickname "Venus" and couldn't pronounce it. "My name's Penis." She was in my favourite class of little kids, too.

Anonymous said...

but that's Sung YuRi :P

Roboseyo said...

is it? I thought I was pretty good about picking Ms. Moon out. This ad DID come out during her "short hair is cute" phase.

anyway, my point about "she only has one face!" still stands, as does what I said about Ms. Moon being over-exposed in too many ads etc..